- 1 cup Hungry Jack® Mashed Potato Flakes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni noodles
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard powder, or 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- Pinch salt and black pepper (or to taste)
- 3/4 cup grated reduced fat sharp cheddar
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 cup low fat cottage cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray 8 individual baking dishes (or one large baking dish) with non-stick cooking spray. If using individual baking dishes, place them on a large baking pan for easy removal from the oven.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender (about 6-8 minutes). Drain pasta and set aside.
- Whisk together the potato spuds, 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup water in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes and stir until creamy.
- Whisk together the egg, 3/4 cup milk, mustard powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper in a small bowl. In the pot used to cook the noodles, which should now be empty, pour the egg mixture and cheeses in. Cook cheese and egg mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the cheese melts and the sauce begins to thicken, about 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Add the mashed potato mixture to the cheese sauce in the pot and stir until smooth. Add an additional 1/2 cup milk and stir. Add the pasta to the sauce and stir once more, and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Divide the macaroni between baking dishes (or pour into one large baking dish). Sprinkle the bread crumbs and Parmesan evenly over each dish if desired.
- Bake macaroni for 15-20 minutes, or until bread crumbs and Parmesan becomes golden brown.