- 1 package (4.9 oz.) Hungry Jack® Au Gratin Potatoes
- 6 slices bacon, divided
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2/3 cup chopped onions
- 2 cans (14 oz.) chicken broth
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in 3-quart saucepan until crisp; remove and drain on paper towel. Add in 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings, cook celery and onion for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth, evaporated milk, pepper and thyme to saucepan. Place potatoes in large resealable plastic bag. Crush potatoes into small pieces using a rolling pin. Add potatoes and sauce mix to saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer over low heat 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Crumble cooked bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish. Stir cheese and remaining bacon into soup until cheese is melted. Ladle into serving bowls; garnish with sour cream, additional shredded cheese, reserved bacon and green onions.
- Additional shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and sliced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves (optional)