- 2 Boxes Hungry Jack Onion & Black Pepper Hashbrowns
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Large Sweet Onion
- Salt and Pepper, To Taste
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- Olive Oil
- Vegetable Oil
- Prepare the hashbrowns according to package directions.
- While the hashbrowns rehydrate, slice onions into rings and place in pan with olive oil, black pepper, salt and sugar. Cook over low heat until caramelized.
- Beat 4 eggs until well-beaten. Combine with cheddar cheese.
- Once the hashbrowns are rehydrated, strain them and press out any excess liquid.
- Combine hashbrown mixture with egg mixture until well-mixed.
- Fill a flat-bottomed fry pan with vegetable oil until it is around ½ an inch in depth. Heat until it spits when a drop of water is flicked in it. On a gas stove, this will be medium heat.
- Place egg rings in oil and then place a 2-inch diameter ball of the hashbrown mixture into them. Press down until the ‘bun’ is flat and fills the ring. Allow to cook for around 30 seconds before pulling out the egg ring.
- Cook until they are golden brown at the edges. Carefully flip them to cook on the other side. Around 2-3 minutes on each side.
- While the last buns are cooking, heat cast iron skillet and cook burger patties (shaped by the egg rings as well) to preferred level of ‘doneness’.
- When all patties and hashbrown buns are cooked assemble with caramelized onions and ketchup.