Hearty Potato Soup with Caramelized Vegetables
- 2 cups Hungry Jack® Mashed Potato Flakes
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 2 stalks sliced celery
- 2 cleaned and sliced parsnips
- 2 medium peeled and sliced carrots
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 (14-1/2 oz.) cans chicken broth
- 3 cups light cream or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Cook bacon in a 4-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove cooked bacon. Cool and crumble. Set aside.
- Add oil, onions, leeks, celery, parsnips and carrots to the bacon drippings in the pan. Reduce heat to medium, cooking slowly, about 25 minutes, or until vegetables begin to brown lightly. Add garlic. Cook 5 minutes more.
- Blend in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in cream, potato flakes, thyme, salt, pepper, parsley and reserved bacon. Gently heat through and serve.