- 1 1/3 cups Hungry Jack® Mashed Potato Flakes
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded smoked Gouda or Jack cheese
- 1 box (14 oz.) refrigerated pie crust, thawed to room temperature
- 1 halved, cored and sliced thinly red delicious apple
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat water, 2 tablespoons of the butter and salt to boiling in medium pot.
- Remove from heat, and stir in milk and mashed potato flakes with fork until smooth. Add shredded smoked Gouda cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- Cut pie crusts into 20 circles about 2 1/2 to 3-inch diameter. Using a mini-muffin tin (with cups the size of 1 3/4 x 1 inch), place 1 pastry circle into each of 20 muffin cups, pressing slightly.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon potato and cheese filling into each cup. Place in oven and bake until pastry edges are golden brown, about 12 to 14 minutes.
- In a small pan, melt remaining tablespoon of butter. Add apple slices and sauté until they are just tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and cook for 1 more minute.
- When apple slices are cooled enough to handle, place a slice into each cup at an angle. Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve. Makes 20 cups.